Sweeping is an essential activity in the home and the advent of vacuum cleaners makes the job even easier. However, getting the best vacuum cleaner is essential for the effectiveness of the cleaning.
There are many vacuum cleaners available to select when you are considering buying one. Most buyers find this complicated as most do not know what to look for when selecting a vacuum cleaner, this makes the buyers’ guide essential.
In this article, we discuss extensively vacuum cleaners, the types, and some essential features to consider while selecting the best vacuum cleaner.
The buyers’ guide is a good map that would walk you through your selection process and ultimately simplify your selection process.
Types of Vacuum Cleaners
Makers of vacuum cleaners have been very creative with how and the style of vacuum cleaners they make. However, we can still categorize them into four main categories:
Based on Vacuum Style
- Upright Vacuum Cleaners: Upright vacuum cleaners like their name implies can stand in an upright position. They are sturdy and have a robust base that can make them stand on their own. They always have their dirt cup situated on them and most can be converted to a handheld. An upright vacuum is perfect for people with back problems because they do not have to bend their while making use of the vacuum.
- Bag Vacuum Cleaners: These vacuum cleaners have their dirt cup holder situated away from the vacuum head. The dirt cup is always connected to the vacuum head through a hose, thereby ensuring easy transfer of the dirt into the dirt cup.
- Handheld Vacuum Cleaners: This type is portable and can be easily handled. They are more suitable for the above floor surfaces like shelve top and other hard-to-reach places. Some upright and canister vacuum can be converted to a handheld for these purposes.
Working Style of the Vacuum
- Robotic Vacuum: These vacuum cleaners are smart and do not require the presence of the owner, all you need is to put it to use and it will automatically clean every dirt and debris on the floor. Robotic vacuum cleaners are charged, they are equipped with sensors that make them smartly move towards dirt, avoid obstacles, and prevent them from falling. It is, however, essential to check the features and specifications of the product you want to buy for specific instructions.
- Vacuum Cleaners with Cord: They come with power cord, most have long cords that will ensure it reaches every corner of the home. There will be a need to plug into an electric outlet during each usage. They are easy to use and very effective; however, you will need to deal with long cords which might be a little stressful.
- Cordless Vacuums: They are vacuum cleaners with rechargeable batteries. You won’t need to plug them into the electric outlets during usage and their batteries are strong enough to last your cleaning time. Most cordless vacuums are compact and portable with small dirt cup capacity, they are more suitable for people with small apartments to clean and for above-floor cleaning.
- Best vacuum cleaner for vinyl floors
- Best laminate floor cleaning machine
- The best robotic pool cleaners
Based on Dirt Storage
- Bagless Vacuum Cleaners: These are more common today and almost all vacuum cleaners you will find in the market today are bagless vacuum cleaners. They are called bagless because they do not have any external bag to hold the dirt and particles vacuumed, all dirt are stored into dirt cup holder which are incorporated in the vacuum cleaner.
- Vacuum Cleaners with Bag: They are the direct opposite of bagless vacuum as they have bags built to hold the dirt cleaned by the machine.
How to Select the Best Vacuum Cleaner
These are vital guidelines that will help you select the best vacuum and a suitable one for your household.
Type of Vacuum Cleaners
You need to know what you are looking for as that is the first and the most important step to selecting the best vacuum cleaner. There are different types as we have discussed above, selecting the one that is suitable for you and your floor type is very essential.
To select the best vacuum type, there are some factors you should look into like how big your apartment is? Your probable average cleaning time, will cordless last for that time on a single charge? How busy are you? Very busy folks might need to consider a robotic vacuum.
These and many more factors will determine the type you go for. It is vital to note that the best vacuum might not entirely be the one with the best qualities but the one that best suits your need.
Some vacuum cleaners come with HEPA filters with other types of filters. Filters prevent dust from escaping back to the air. Therefore, if your concern is more about the air quality, it is essential you look into the filter type and the number of filters the machine has before selecting them.
You need to check the suction power of the vacuum cleaner before buying it. It is more advisable to go for the ones you can adjust their suction power. This puts you in control and enables you to set it based on the type of dirt you want to clean. Some floor types like vinyl plank may not be strong enough to withstand some high suction pressure; therefore, getting an adjustable suction power will be beneficial for such folks.
How much you are willing to spend on a vacuum cleaner is also an important factor. How much you should spend might depend on some factors like financial capacity. If you are getting the vacuum cleaner as a backup plan for a major one, spending much on a backup vacuum might not be too encouraged. It is essential you buy the high-priced vacuum; however, it is not a necessity in all cases.
The vacuum cleaner you need should be the one that is suitable for your floor type. Some floors like the vinyl floors are more delicate while some are quite strong. There is a need to get the vacuum that is designed with the cleaning head that goes well with your floor type as this will prevent scratching.
Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner
Consider an upright bagless vacuum cleaner if:
- You need a dependable vacuum for your floor at a budget-friendly price
- Something that works for all floor types
- You need something that is easy to move around (easy maneuverability)
- There is a back problem which prevents you from bending
- You don’t mind dealing with long cords.
Robotic Vacuum Cleaner
Consider a Robotic Vacuum Cleaner if:
- You want more convenience and comfort
- You have little or no time for cleaning, a robotic vacuum will automatically clean all dirt and debris
- Dealing with long cord is not an option for you
- Your apartment is not too big
- You can afford it
Vacuum Cleaner with Bag (Canister Vacuum)
Consider Vacuum Cleaner with Bag if:
- You can afford it as they are expensive
- Versatile on every floor surfaces
- Great for people with allergies as they seal allergens and irritants
- If the air quality in your home is top priority
- You don’t mind dragging the bag along with you
- If you don’t have pets as they are not good for pet hairs
Handheld Vacuum Cleaner
Consider Handheld Vacuum Cleaner if:
- You are on a budget as they are cheaper
- For car cleaning
- Other hard-to-reach surfaces at home
- For a back-up plan for another sturdy and expensive vacuum
- You don’t want to deal with cord hassle
Best Handheld Vacuum Cleaners (Top 2 Choices)
Cordless Vacuum Cleaner
Consider Cordless Vacuum Cleaner if:
- You have a small apartment
- You do not want to deal with long cord hassle
- For a back-up plan for other expensive vacuum cleaners
- Seniors with little strength as they are light in weight
- You need it for other purposes like sweeping the car and other surfaces
Which is best: Shark vs. Dyson Vacuum?
If you claim that Shark and Dyson are the top two makers of vacuum cleaner, you probably will be correct. These two brands do make good vacuum cleaners thereby making potential buyers a little confused about whether to go for Shark products or Dyson.
Both Brands make quality products and have thus garnered buyers’ trust over time. However, there are a few differences between them:
- Weight: Dyson Vacuums are heavier than Shark vacuums
- Cost: It is noted that Dyson makes a more expensive vacuum compared to shark
- Suction: Dyson also produce vacuum with more suction than shark
- Reliability: Shark vacuums tend to be more reliable and last longer than Dyson
- Compactness: Dyson produces more compact and portable vacuum cleaners compared to Shark
There are no straight answers to which is better between Dyson and Shark. There are situations where Shark products edge Dyson and vice versa. It is essential to read the reviews of every product you intend to buy to correctly select the best vacuum cleaner for your floor.
Are expensive vacuums worth it?
One main advantage of buying an expensive vacuum cleaner is durability. Expensive vacuum cleaners tend to last for a long time than the less expensive ones. Therefore, it is worth investing in expensive vacuums as they will be usable for a very long time.